Tuesday, November 26, 2013

U R #1 Racing Card - Fail?


I made my brother a birthday card again this year. Actually, a cross stitch design for him is what started me out on my card making hobby! Like last year, I think my card this year was kind of a fail... But he loved it! That's all that matters, right? 

My brother's a big Formula 1 fan, so I wanted to make him a card with a racing theme. 



I started out by using Spellbinders A2 Matting Basics B and cutting out rectangular strips with my Cuttlebug.



I cut a bunch of white and black strips. I trimmed the black strips so they were a bit shorter than the white ones.



I glued one white and one black piece together.


I attached more strips in a weaving pattern, gluing as necessary as I went. 


It got a little tight near the end, but it worked out! I trimmed off the excess pieces.


I made a 5x5 green square card base. It's supposed to be grass!


I used my expert drawing skills to sketch out a race track on light grey cardstock. I wish I had a die for it instead... Would have looked a lot cleaner!


I fussy cut the track and decided on a way to place it on the card front.


I used a white pen to trace a lane divider.


I decided to use Lawn Fawn's Quinn's ABCs for the text on the front of the card. It doesn't have a # stamp, so I thought of using the letter "l" four times to make it. I tested this on scratch paper first to see how it would turn out.


I decided on a general placement of the flag.


Whoops! I didn't take a picture after I finished stamping the sentiment on the card. You can see a bit of it in the bottom left of the photo below. Later on I coloured it in. The picture below shows how many foam squares I stacked onto the back of the flag to make it 3D.


Inside I used a simple sentiment from There She Goes Sentimental Birthday. I love that stamp set, so useful!


Here you can see that I coloured in the letters to make them stand out more. I also outlined the track with a sharpie and added strips of red and white liquid pears to give the effect of chicanes. 


Ta-da! The whole card put together. This card turned out "craftier" than is my personal taste.... But in the end, my brother still liked it.... I promise to do a lot better next year! lol


2 comments: