Sunday, June 30, 2013

Playin' Around with Colour Shine Sprays

I got a bunch of Heidi Swapp's color shine sprays recently. I picked up a few of her 6x6 stencils as well.



I forgot to pick up a misting box the last time I was at Michael's, so I just fashioned one out of an old box of microwave popcorn. I lined the box with some paper just in case.



For my first experiment, I used teal, mustard and primrose colours on a stencil with dots, stars and hearts. I used cheapo masking tape to tape the stencil to the card stock. I used a whole sheet of card stock, which didn't fit so well in my misting box.


I love how the colours interacted: the primrose and teal made a purple, the mustard and and primrose made an orange and the teal and mustard made a beautiful green.


Since the paper didn't fit so well in the box, the stencil popped up away from the paper. the hearts and most of the dots are pretty sharp, but the stars turned out kinda fuzzy. I cut my paper down to 6.5 x 6.5 inches for my following experiments.


Since the stenciled area is 6x6, and I mostly make 5.5 x 4.25 inch cards, I'll have to figure out a way to cut it down and make it work. I actually really like the "spill over" areas around where the stencil was. I'm gonna use those portions of paper by either punching out some shapes or cutting strips to use to "belt" some cards.


Next I used amethyst and gold sparys with the chevron stencil on white card stock. This one isn't my fav... There isn't enough contrast and I also messed it up when removing the stencil, causing the lines to not be as sharp as they should have been.


I looove how this one turned out tho! I used the lattice mask with peach and chartreuse sprays. The lines turned out really sharp and the fade between the colours is gorgeous!



I used a flowery mask on dark grey card stock. I sprayed all over with almost all of my colours. I'll have to try this one again on lighter card stock, the effect is a little hard to see on the dark card stock.


Lastly, there's another one I love! I took a piece of 5.5x4.25 inch white card stock and taped it to a dotted mask. I sprayed it with 5 different colours, one in each of the corners and one in the middle. I sprayed close to the paper to get the most colour concentration. This will make a great background for a card!


I'm really happy with these purchases... I didn't get to try all my stencils... and maybe I didn't *need* all of the colours I got.. But they're still really fun to play with! Can't wait to make some cards incorporating the card stock I coloured today.

Monday, June 10, 2013

New Baby Boy! Cross Stitched Card

Here's a card I've made for my friend who is expecting a baby boy.

The design was actually very quick to cross stitch. I completed most of it in one evening. The cross stitch is glued onto a piece of light green card stock, which I trimmed to be the same size as the cross stitch design. I always back my stitching onto card stock. I have this wet spray adhesive that I use which is excellent. It is super sticky -- I wouldn't want the design to peel off of the card.

The background is actually some leftover from the baby boy's 1st birthday card I made previously.


I added a piece of ribbon at the bottom from a variety pack of American Craft's ribbon. I love how the ribbon has adhesive on one side, so it's one less thing for me to do!


I added one of my fancy new buttons along the ribbon. I tied the button with some twine. The twine comes from a different American Crafts variety pack. I added a bit of glue to the ends of the bow as well as the knot of the bow so it doesn't fray or come undone. It did eventually dry clear. I used the same glue to stick the button onto the card.


All the stamps on the inside come from Lawn Fawn's plus one, except the teddy bear which is from pa-rum-pa-pum-pum. I coloured them with my Chromatix markers. I made a boo-boo on this part of the card... I stamped as it it was a horizontal card, not a vertical one. I had to trim one side of the insert, but I still wanted to keep the cute rattle, so I cut it out and glued it on top. Oh well!




Saturday, June 08, 2013

Sparkly Washi Birthday Card

Here's a birthday card I made for my sister in law.


The card base is purple. The card stock I used to layer on the front is a light lavender colour. I used strips of washi tape to jazz it up.


I used Lawn Fawn's bake me a cake stamp set for the sentiment and cupcakes on the front. I stamped onto 1-inch circles that I punched. Then I coloured the cupcakes with different colours of stickles. One downside to this is that the circles did get pretty warped. I attached them to the card with foam glue.


On the inside I inserted another piece of light lavender card stock and used Lawn Fawn's Harold's ABCs for the sentiment. Honestly it was a little tedious individually placing all the letters, but I love the result. I think it makes it much more special. I just wish I thought of something a little more creative to write!

Sunday, June 02, 2013

wplus9 Flowery Birthday Card

Here's a birthday card that I made using wplus9's "the birds and the bees" stamp set. I was putting in an online order for card making stuff a while ago and happened to stumble upon that stamp set. It's not my usual style, but I'm so glad I bought it. There are so many possibilities!